Love is odd, weird, and blinding. We ignore distasteful behaviors, searching through rose-colored filters for something non-existent. Throwing all our standards out the door, we turn a blind-eye to feel the love we crave. But at what cost do we ignore these red flags in our relationships?
It’s a misconception that relationships are only romantic. No my friend, relationships encompasses all kinds of love. I’m talking friendships, family, partnerships, even business workers.
We all crave love and community. Human beings are like that. We thrive off each other, hence why ignoring red flags is extremely dangerous. You see, bad apples exist even outside of romantic love, and it’s vital you watch out for these signs because you deserve the happiest and loveliest community filled with true love.
Now no one is perfect. We all have off days where we act less desirable, hence why grace exist. But there are toxic behaviors, consistent ones, you shouldn’t ignore. Truly unhealthy people who wish you harm will show these types of behaviors.
RED FLAGS TO WATCH OUT FOR:
- Insulting you, your passions, or loved one and playing it off as a joke
2. Acting rudely and arrogantly to waiters/waitresses or any public service workers
3. Treating your pets or any animal horribly
4. Never asking about your life or how your’e doing and instead always talking about themselves and bringing the convo back on them
5. Constant drama and complaining when they’re around or even surrounding them
6. Never taking ownership or blame for anything and turning it around on you (aka gaslighting)
7. CONSTANTLY on their phone and never giving you the time of day when talking or hanging with them, especially if sharing your thoughts
8. Crossing boundaries when you’ve made it clear what those boundaries are (ex. changing your house/room up w/o permission, constantly calling or showing up when craving alone time, irrationally angry when you say no)
9. Always defensive when you share a different opinion or point something out wrong or feeling like you’re always walking on eggshells
10. Feeling uncomfortable around them or a gut feeling something’s off about this person even without evidence
As I mentioned before, these 10 red flags aren’t just for romantic relationships. You’re friendships, partnerships, even family affect your everyday life.
Again, we’re all human. We mess up, have odd quirks, and off days, therefore we deserve grace. The major difference between a toxic person and someone having an off day is the consistency. If someone you know is consistently exhibiting these traits, examine this person and ask yourself how has this person benefited my life.
The wrong person can damage your life without you realizing until it’s too late. That’s why I created this list because I don’t want anyone influenced negatively by the wrong person.
For more relationship topics, check out my posts here and here. Also check out these blogs here and here for more similar topics. I’m also creating a relationship category on the blog for future love/dating/friendship posts. Tell me what you want to read about!
So what are your thoughts on this post? Do you agree or have anymore red flags to add? I’d love to hear your thoughts below!