First, I’m the least qualified for writing a relationship post. My relationships are few and far in between. I’m talking 10 years apart! I dated very little in my twenties. I was never one for serial dating. In fact, I was extremely shy and awkward around boys lol!
But I know what it’s like being in toxic relationships and around unhealthy people. I also know what it’s like being in a very healthy, wonderful relationship (my current one <3 <3 <3) and around healthy, supportive friends.
I pray everyone experiences pure bliss and unconditional love from their friends and partners. But I understand the uphill battle and gritty work of finding loyal people.
It’s a rare and valuable treasure in a world where everyone builds their own Berlin wall.
I understand every relationship is different and complex. Humans are like that you know. We carry our own demons, triggers, anxieties, and fears. One universal set of rules won’t apply for every relationship.
But some qualities are necessary for a healthy long-lasting relationship.
5 Qualities for a Healthy Relationship
- Genuine Friendship: The most important quality in my opinion. Sharing laughs, silliness, adventures, and vulnerabilities are gold. If you can’t imagine being your partner’s friend (assuming you never had romantic feelings) then why are you with them?
- Raw Honesty: I’m talking hard truths. It’s important sharing your past stories, dirty laundry, unflattering attributes, and gritty growths. Relationships with secrets never end well.
- Pure Comfort: Some people think butterflies means they found the right person. Maybe it is for some. But from my own experience and others, being comfortable (NOT COMPLACENT) around your sweetheart is the best. Being yourself in the most genuine way is the best sign you’re with the right person.
- Mutual Respect: Making fun of your partner’s passions, dreams, and characteristics is not cool. Insulting them around others and dismissing their feelings is really not cool. Honor your person by respecting their feelings, dreams, and soul.
- Gentle Compassion: The world is a tough place full of criticism, ridicule, and apathy. Finding rest, support, and gentle compassion within your relationship is important. Your partner should be your safe space, oasis, fluffy pillow. There’s a difference between enabling and being compassionate.
Again, just wanting to remind you, I’m not a relationship guru. Everything isn’t applicable for everyone’s relationship. But I believe we can learn a thing or two from different perspectives on why their relationship is successful.
So let me know what you think of this topic? Can you add any qualities that you are necessary? I’d love to hear them!